Exchange Student Hosting 2016
YOUTH EXCHANGE – WHERE FUTURE LEADERS MEET
Host families are required for seven Youth between the ages of 16 and 22. There are five females and two males. The goal of the program is to provide an opportunity for young people to experience Summer in Canada in general and our District in particular.. As such, there are no specific requirements such as being a tour guide or driving them someplace every day.
This is more an educational experience for them than entertainment.
Hosting periods are from:
1. June 24/25 (depending on flights) to July 3rd
2. July 3rd to July 12th
It is our intent to switch Youths at the end of each period to provide a broader experience for all. Some families may only be able to Host for one of the two periods.
1. Police Check will be required.
2. For first session, it is hoped that you will be able to meet us at the Ottawa Airport but alternate arrangements can be made if required.
3. Provide your Home and meals- (have them cook or teach you about their food).
4. Pay for any events that YOU want to take them to but remember many activities in the community are free and often provide the best cultural experiences.
The rest is up to you and your family. You do not have to have Youth in the home the same age but if you do then it will be a mutually beneficial experience and we guarantee you he or she will be wanting to participate in the Outbound program next year; or as soon as they are eligible if they are younger.
If you don’t have Youth or even if you do, we have recommendations if you are enthusiastic about getting involved with the program.
1. Take two Youth- they will entertain themselves and share their cultures.
2. Partner with another Lion in your Community or neighboring community so that they have an opportunity to get together for outings. For example, last year, Lions Heather Chilvers provided the Home and Kris Schultz took them to events.
3. Provide the Home but have the Club be the Host. Various members can host them in their backyard pools, cottages or local festivals or fun days.
4. Share your Passion- if you are a boating, golfing, biking or hiking enthusiast or you love History or Art or Gardening, share it with the Youth. Or if you are a doting Parent or Grandparent with Prize winning children and grandchildren- share them too!
During the Camp period from July 12th to 22nd, we will be taking them to major attractions but this doesn’t prevent you from doing the same. We will provide you with our planned events to let you know where we are going; but many events such as Canada Day, the Musical Ride or other festivals are date specific so there are lots of events for you and them to enjoy.
CONTACT BETTY SHIELDS –YOUTH EXCHANGE CHAIR - 613-833-2925